Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS) offers a broad spectrum of mental health and substance use services for children, youth, families, adults and older adults in San Mateo County in the prevention, early intervention and treatment of mental illness and/or substance use conditions.
We provide mental health services to individuals who are eligible for Medi-Cal and/or members of the Health Plan of San Mateo through outpatient clinics in Daly City, San Mateo, the Coastside, Redwood City and East Palo Alto, in school-based locations, and through a network of community agencies and independent providers who offer outpatient services, residential treatment, rehabilitation and other services for adults and children.
Mental health services are also available for emotionally disturbed children, older adults at risk of institutionalization, children in special education or at risk of out-of-home placement, uninsured residents of San Mateo County and people of any age in a major crisis. Services are aimed at helping individuals experiencing a mental illness maintain their independence, and helping children with serious emotional challenges continue their education and remain with their families. Learn more about our substance use services.
Find Help in San Mateo County
To access mental health or alcohol and other drug services for you or in your family who may be experiencing a mental illness or a substance use disorder, call the Behavioral Health and Recovery Services ACCESS Call Center for information, an assessment and a referral based on individual needs.
ACCESS Call Center: Phone: (800) 686-0101, TDD: (800) 943-2833
If You are Experiencing a Mental Health Emergency
Call 9-1-1 or go to your nearest hospital emergency room if you can safely get there.
See Guidelines for Calling 9-1-1 in a Mental Health Emergency
Psychiatric Emergency Services are available at:
San Mateo Medical Center
222 West 39th Ave., San Mateo, CA, 94403
Phone: (650) 573-2662
Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
1501 Trousdale Drive, Burlingame, CA 94010
Phone: (650) 696-5915
24-Hour Crisis Lines
- StarVista Crisis Hotline: (650) 579-0350, www.crisiscenter.cc
- National Suicide Prevention Helpline (call or chat): 1-800-273-TALK (8255), www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Veterans Crisis Line: connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, chat online, or send a text message to 838255 to receive confidential support.
- Network of Care website: www.sanmateo.networkofcare.org/mh. A wealth of information, tools and resources related to mental health and substance use topics. Create your own WRAP Plan and Personal Health Record.
- Youth Chat: Support for teens from teens - www.onyourmind.net
- Youth Website and Support Line: Reachout.com is a website that provides Q&A, hotlines, referrals and chat room staffed by trained youth to provide a safe, anonymous, non-judgmental place for other youth to discuss depression, suicide, family, pressure, school, friends, cutting, identity or anything. Get support online, via text, or by phone.
- TeenLine: Have a problem and want to talk to another teen? The TeenLine is operated by teens for teens. Connect by phone, text, email or message board: www.teenlineonline.org
- What You Need to Know about Bullying (download the mobile app) www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/gethelp/bullying.aspx
- Crisis Text Line: Provides free confidential 24/7 emotional support and infomation to people in any type of crisis. Text “START” to 741741. Learn more at www.crisistextline.org/get-help-now/
Search Provider Directory